KSP Interstellar Near Future Integration Mod attempts to integrate and balance Fractals famous KSP Interstellar Mod with the more Stock alike KSP Near Future Technologies Mod. Merging Interstellar and Near Future is a seemingly impossible tasks because they operate on vastly different power scales. Interstellar functions on the Gigawatt range while Near Future doesn’t get much higher than a few Megawatt. Also the scaling is vastly different where Near Future is stable, Interstellar power scaling over time varies between hardly useful to incredible powerful. Another problem is that they use resources that seem similar but are incompatible and mixing cooling technology doesn’t work either.
A lot has changed to make them work together and in the process I added additional features. But in short here are the main features:
- Balanced the Alcubierre warpdrive; In order to balance the warpdrive with modified reactors, I had to significantly changed it performance and behavior. Instead of a low requirements infinite travel wormhole generator, it now becomes high requirements limited distance warp field engine. By infinite travel wormhole generator, I mean that the original warp-engine could be charged with any reactor and travel for any distance and even allow charging for the next warp jump during warp.
- Near Future reactors now represent the first generation of nuclear reactor with slightly more power output than their Near Future reactor equivalent. They use a modified version of Interstellar reactor modules, yet do not require any external power generator to produce electricity, therefore similar to the original self contained reliable near future reactors. These reactor will be ideal for powering space ship over a long periods or remain at standby to start and maintain fusion reactors.
- Interstellar nuclear reactor become available later (as NF Reactors) and function as high performance, high maintenance reactor which become powerful enough for upper stages of rocket or SSTO with added benefit of much higher specific impulse.
- Interstellar Electric Engines are now integrated with Near Future Tech nodes. Interstellar Electrical engines, although still very power hungry, now require much less power, able to compete with Near Future electrical engines.
- Resource integration; For example, Interstellar engines now uses Near Future Liquid Hydrogen resource (instead of Liquid Fuel) and Near Future hydrogen tanks (which have less density than Liquid Fuel) now require some electrical power (like Interstellar Liquid Deuterium tanks) to keep the Liquid Hydrogen from boiling off.
- Thermal engines (thermal rocket nozzle), which come available after nuclear propulsion tech, are now useful from the start. A first generation nuclear reactor connected to a thermal nozzle provide equivalent trust to a stock nuclear engine (which is 60 kN). The added advantage of a separate nuclear reactor is that beside propulsion, the same reactor can also be used for long lasting power
- Reactor power has been reduced drastically and the power difference between the weakest and strongest is much smaller. For example the end game anti matter reactor (+ generator) is only 40 times as powerful as the initial nuclear reactor. Compare that with Interstellar 1000 times and you get the idea.
- Merged Interstellar and Near Future Technology tree into a separate Tech Manager tree. I made early (Near Future) nuclear technologies accessible earlier and lowered the science requirement of near future electrical engines to make them a good intermediate technology between the nuclear engines and fusion engines